Old 18-02-2006, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
a.c.

Default Name of boundary method

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

I know what it's called in Dutch (houtwallen) but the translation into
'rampart's does not seem to fit ............ Martin are you out there?

Wooden walls Shirley?

There *IS* a name for it, and IIRC it was used extensively by Iron Age people.

I to have a vague recollection of seeing something like that regarding
a historical site.

I asked for the name here (Belgium) and was given Houtmuur, (Wood wall)

Jenny's post reminds me that the one I've seen was mainly constructed
using tree prunnings, or that of large shrubs and does look
surprisingly nice. In the case of the shrub cuttings, these were
already in tight bundles, but the tree material wasn't, not that it
would matter because by it's nature, had they being bundled, the
bundles would have being too open. Larger branches were used as posts,
lesser, yet still quite woody material was place at the bottom and
other similar branches had to be shoved in, through, around and under
previous ones to minimise gaps and holes in the fence/barrier.
This caused some of those branches to stick up in the air at about 45
degrees and so the woodier bits were cut off and repositioned so that
when it came to lighter material being placed above, there would not be
enough woodiness to prevent the lighter material from pushing down the
previous layer.
I spent quite some time trying to identify this fence/ boundary type, I
searched using words; branch, natural, trees, fence, recycle, boundary,
iron age, but to no avail. Anyone got any baetter ideas on how to find
this. (Also used wikipedia dictionary)

thinks

What are those wire cages full of stones/rocks called?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig