Old 19-02-2006, 11:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

Default Need Aphid Advice

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 17:24:46 -0800, Tony wrote:

Hi All,

I have a cedar bush in my back yard. I do not know what
it is called, but it is blueish green, about 25 foot tall, one
of those bushes people like to trim into various shapes.

Problem: it has aphids. And, it has a HUGE colony of ants
farming the aphids. And, and, a HUMONGOUS squadron on yellow
jackets farming the ants. YIKES!!!!

I figure, if I can get rid of the ahpids, I will loose the
ants and the yellow jackets. Is there any NON-HUMAN TOXIC way
of driving the aphids away? Something that will make the bush
not so yummy to them? Something I can pour into the bush's
water supply? Something that doesn't rot the eyes out of my
head when I spray it on?

Many thanks,
--Tony

Personally, I'd use Wasp/Hornet spray close to sunset when the hornets
are settled down for the day. These sprays shoot 10 to 15 feet. The
next day you might see some hornet activity; if so, repeat the
application. This is somewhat toxic, but very effective--who wants to
get stung?

After the hornets are gone use a forceful spray from the garden hose
on the bush. A teaspoon of dishwashing liquid in a qt of warm water
makes a good spray too. Dusting the bush with fine wood ashes will
also kill the aphids by dehydration. Chickadees and wrens feast on
aphids. Aphids reproduce very quickly and may spread plant viruses. My
Rose of Sharon hedge has aphids but it also has a large ladybug
population keeping the aphids in check.