Old 20-02-2006, 02:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Wolf Kirchmeir

Default white pine

higgledy wrote:
2 years ago I bought 3 white pines (about 4 feet tall) One died same
year. After digging it out I noticed that when balled, the grower
severly cut the center root. I believe this caused the tree failure.
The remaining 2 trees have not grown an inch. I believe their center
roots have been cut too. Is there anything that I can do to turn this
trees around? I treated both with liquid root stimulator last spring,
but no growth.

a) transplanted trees of any species can take several years to start
growing, and the bigger they are at transplanting, the longer it seems
to take. Be patient. The fact that they've survived thus far is a good
sign. Also, white pines can be very slow growers in anything other than
"perfect" conditions. They're adapted to survive a wide range of soils,
light conditions, and microclimates. I have one at the back of my lot
that is now about ten years old, and it's barely doubled in height since
it was planted. Mind you, it's growing on a rock pile... :-)

b) pines like acid soil, so test the soil, and give them some acid
fertiliser if needed.

HTH