Old 21-02-2006, 05:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nicole

Default Ants

Sue
I'm in the San Joaquin Valley and my peas are almost done. It's cooled back
down so they may get another couple of weeks but it would be too warm if I
just put seeds in the ground.
Beans are warm season and peas are cool season.

I have a problem with the CA fire ants. I've used Diatomaceous earth (not
the pool kind) since I can't use chemicals (at an elementary school).

Look at UC Davis' IPM suggestions
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/

Good luck
Nicole
zone 9
"Sue" wrote in message
In a week or so (or later depending on which I decide) I'll be
planting either peas or green beans in an area I've not planted
before. I was digging there today (getting rid of the clay so I can
put in some decent top soil ) and noticed what must be a huge ant
colony. Thousands of ants. I know from sad experience what they can
do to a corn crop. Does anyone know what I can use to eradicate them
before I plant? Or will they not harm the peas or beans?
Sue - San Joaquin Valley CA