Old 20-02-2006, 11:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Sue

Default Ants

In a week or so (or later depending on which I decide) I'll be
planting either peas or green beans in an area I've not planted
before. I was digging there today (getting rid of the clay so I can
put in some decent top soil ) and noticed what must be a huge ant
colony. Thousands of ants. I know from sad experience what they can
do to a corn crop. Does anyone know what I can use to eradicate them
before I plant? Or will they not harm the peas or beans?
Sue - San Joaquin Valley CA
Old 21-02-2006, 01:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Charles Quinn

Sue wrote in
:

In a week or so (or later depending on which I decide) I'll be
planting either peas or green beans in an area I've not planted
before. I was digging there today (getting rid of the clay so I can
put in some decent top soil ) and noticed what must be a huge ant
colony. Thousands of ants. I know from sad experience what they can
do to a corn crop. Does anyone know what I can use to eradicate them
before I plant? Or will they not harm the peas or beans?
Sue - San Joaquin Valley CA

Boiling water. It's organic!

--

Charles
The significant problems we face cannot be solved

Old 21-02-2006, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Salmon Egg

On 2/20/06 5:03 PM, in article
01, "Charles Quinn"
wrote:

Boiling water. It's organic!

Water is about as inorganic as it gets--no carbon at all!

Bill
-- Ferme le Bush

Old 21-02-2006, 05:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nicole

Sue
I'm in the San Joaquin Valley and my peas are almost done. It's cooled back
down so they may get another couple of weeks but it would be too warm if I
just put seeds in the ground.
Beans are warm season and peas are cool season.

I have a problem with the CA fire ants. I've used Diatomaceous earth (not
the pool kind) since I can't use chemicals (at an elementary school).

Look at UC Davis' IPM suggestions
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/

Good luck
Nicole
zone 9

Old 22-02-2006, 02:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Sue

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 05:16:03 GMT, "Nicole"
wrote:

Sue
I'm in the San Joaquin Valley and my peas are almost done. It's cooled back
down so they may get another couple of weeks but it would be too warm if I
just put seeds in the ground.
Beans are warm season and peas are cool season.

Yeah. I figured it was too late for the peas so it will probably be
beans.

I have a problem with the CA fire ants. I've used Diatomaceous earth (not
the pool kind) since I can't use chemicals (at an elementary school).

I'll have to look up this Diatomaceous earth stuff. No time at the
moment. I have no idea what kind of ants I have. They look like the
common house type.

Look at UC Davis' IPM suggestions
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/

I've just read a good deal about ants on this site. I can't figure
out what the attractant is. I don't seem to have anything there that
would cause "honeydew". Thanks for all your help. I haven't yet
ordered that book you suggested. Better get to it as the season is
fast approaching.
Sue

Good luck
Nicole
zone 9
.. .

Old 22-02-2006, 06:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Kathy

I've had good luck with ammonia.

ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 08:13 PM
ants v Amdro -- ants winning Wayfarer Texas 11 09-04-2003 04:08 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
ants in worm farm Mousie Australia 8 02-04-2003 10:20 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM