Old 21-02-2006, 05:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

Default Sharpie woes

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 04:00:29 GMT, "Bill Landers"
wrote:

Hi Raj-
Sorry, I don't have any solutions for making your faded writing visible,
BUT, I do have a solution that will make your future labels visible for a
very long time.

In the December 2003 issue of Horticulture magazine, the letters section
had a number of letters from readers who had found various ways to produce
indelible labels. Some of them have been discussed on this newsgroup
(Brother labeling machines) and engraving metal labels, among others. North
Carolina nurseryman Tony Avent wrote in that he switched over to DecoColor
Paint Markers, which are resistant to water and UV rays. Taking his
suggestion, I purchased 4 markers last spring, and they are every bit as
permanent as advertised. I got 2 black and 2 green markers (the extra-fine
point) and a single marker was able to last the whole season- I have a small
perennial/dwarf conifer nursery, and I write ALOT of labels in a season, and
I have 3 unopened markers ready to go when the first one gives up the ghost.
I ordered mine from:
http://www.artsuppliesonline.com
The paint dries almost instantly, and if anything, the green color had
darkened slightly over the course of a growing season. All of my Sharpies
have been thrown away.
Bill Landers

Raj -
Ray of FirstRays.com has an article on using a scanner or digital
camera and playing with contrast that often works.
Better than Bills suggestion - we have tried permanent markers. They
last a season.. but who rewrites a label for a plant if the one in the
pot is legible? So by the time the second season is over they are as
bad as the sharpie.

The Brother works very well. We have labels in the gh that are at
least 5 years old. The label stock gets brittle before the brother
label tape fades. Some people have said laser printers and address
lebel stock is just as good. IF you use an ink jet printer you will
have to spray sealer over it like a chalk or water color artist use.

Another thing you can do is put one in the bottom of the pot that the
sun never touches. Then your pens will work.
SuE