Old 21-02-2006, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Raj

Default Sharpie woes

hello group,

A while back, i had labelled a few plants using sanford's sharpie
markers (Blue). Well.. they all have faded beyond recognition .
I know i should have used a pencil but i didnt think about it then.
What i would like to know is... if there is any way for me to use some
sorta chemical or powder to make the writing visible. ( Dont they do
all that stuff in forensic TV shows?)

Thanks

Raj

Old 21-02-2006, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

How about a microscope? Don't laugh - it's an idea created from
desperattion-yours! Good luck........Burr

Old 21-02-2006, 04:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bill Landers

Hi Raj-
Sorry, I don't have any solutions for making your faded writing visible,
BUT, I do have a solution that will make your future labels visible for a
very long time.

In the December 2003 issue of Horticulture magazine, the letters section
had a number of letters from readers who had found various ways to produce
indelible labels. Some of them have been discussed on this newsgroup
(Brother labeling machines) and engraving metal labels, among others. North
Carolina nurseryman Tony Avent wrote in that he switched over to DecoColor
Paint Markers, which are resistant to water and UV rays. Taking his
suggestion, I purchased 4 markers last spring, and they are every bit as
permanent as advertised. I got 2 black and 2 green markers (the extra-fine
point) and a single marker was able to last the whole season- I have a small
perennial/dwarf conifer nursery, and I write ALOT of labels in a season, and
I have 3 unopened markers ready to go when the first one gives up the ghost.
I ordered mine from:
http://www.artsuppliesonline.com
The paint dries almost instantly, and if anything, the green color had
darkened slightly over the course of a growing season. All of my Sharpies
have been thrown away.
Bill Landers

oups.com...

Old 21-02-2006, 05:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 04:00:29 GMT, "Bill Landers"
wrote:

[...]

Ray of FirstRays.com has an article on using a scanner or digital
camera and playing with contrast that often works.
Better than Bills suggestion - we have tried permanent markers. They
last a season.. but who rewrites a label for a plant if the one in the
pot is legible? So by the time the second season is over they are as
bad as the sharpie.

The Brother works very well. We have labels in the gh that are at
least 5 years old. The label stock gets brittle before the brother
label tape fades. Some people have said laser printers and address
lebel stock is just as good. IF you use an ink jet printer you will
have to spray sealer over it like a chalk or water color artist use.

Another thing you can do is put one in the bottom of the pot that the
sun never touches. Then your pens will work.
SuE
Old 21-02-2006, 09:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Dave Gillingham

Raj, not sure if it will work, but, if your problem is to read the label to
re-identify plants & write a fresh one, try uv light. As in a uv fluorescent
tube such as those you can get for parties, or a "black light " bulb such as
some hobbyist electronics stores over here sell.

Old 21-02-2006, 04:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Eric Hunt

Dave,

You beat me to it - I was going to suggest a blacklight as well.

Always keep an electric pencil sharpener (battery operated!) and a box of
pencils near the potting bench! =)

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 21-02-2006, 05:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Aaron Hicks

Ray's scanner techniques have already been mentioned, but I'd like
to weigh in on the use of paint pens- but a different brand that has
already been suggested. The Sakura "Ident-I-Pens" are inexpensive and work
well. Sharpie fades under fluorescent lights after a few months; Sakura
paint pens last for at least 5 years with no change in legibility. The
difference between Sharpies and paint pens is that the former use dyes,
which can change, while the latter use pigments, which are much less
susceptible to change.

They're inexpensive, and the pens I've used have lasted at least a
year.

The address in the header isn't valid. Send no email there.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

Old 21-02-2006, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
OrchidKitty

You've gotten some good advice on how to resurrect your labels. Here's
some advice for future labels: Use a Sakura IDenti Pen to write on
plastic labels. The printing never fades. Sakura IDenti Penpens are
difficult to find, but U.S. art supply places, such as Charette's,
carry them. They cost a few dollars.

Old 21-02-2006, 11:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Raj

Thanks everyone for replying :-). I plan to buy the Sakura IDenti pen.
I will also try out the "black light" bulb.

Old 22-02-2006, 04:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve

Aaron Hicks wrote:

................The Sakura "Ident-I-Pens" are inexpensive and work
well. Sharpie fades under fluorescent lights after a few months; Sakura
paint pens last for at least 5 years with no change in legibility..............
-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

Are these the same or not? The seller uses the word ink, not paint:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-SAKURA-PERMANE...QQcmdZViewItem

Steve

Webb Starting woes Bevilready Lawns 3 01-04-2009 09:40 AM
Wildflower woes. Whit Texas 9 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 3 24-02-2003 11:10 PM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 2 24-02-2003 10:29 PM
Algae woes Stuart Mueller Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 09-02-2003 01:53 PM