Old 21-02-2006, 01:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Default root or spike

Burr,
Phal roots have a pointier sharper point, not as rounded as the tip of a
root. If there is any of the white shiny coating on it, it's a root. Spikes
are not shiny, and most of the time they are green (though in some Phals the
color may be different, more reddish for example, and the color of roots may
differ somewhat in different Phals as well). Once the spike is longer, it
will have nodes, whereas roots don't have those. In general roots and spikes
can come out of the same kind of location on the plant, and the direction
where they head does not differentiate them either. I can usually
differentiate spikes and roots correctly from very early on, so they do look
quite different to me. If you want, you can try to take a picture of this
spike or root and post it to abpo, and if it is a good enough photo maybe we
will be able to make educated guesses about which it is. Good luck!
Joanna

wrote in message
Hi all: Someone tell me again how to tell the difference between a
root and a spike? This growth is on the base of the plant, is green,
coming straight out and yes it's pointed. Root right? I'm still
waiting to see what it'll become. It's a Phal. Thanks.....Burr