Old 21-02-2006, 03:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default root or spike

Hi all: Someone tell me again how to tell the difference between a
root and a spike? This growth is on the base of the plant, is green,
coming straight out and yes it's pointed. Root right? I'm still
waiting to see what it'll become. It's a Phal. Thanks.....Burr

Old 21-02-2006, 08:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
nigel savage

Indeed, it could be a root or a spike. Let's hope for a spike!

Old 21-02-2006, 01:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Burr,
Phal roots have a pointier sharper point, not as rounded as the tip of a
root. If there is any of the white shiny coating on it, it's a root. Spikes
are not shiny, and most of the time they are green (though in some Phals the
color may be different, more reddish for example, and the color of roots may
differ somewhat in different Phals as well). Once the spike is longer, it
will have nodes, whereas roots don't have those. In general roots and spikes
can come out of the same kind of location on the plant, and the direction
where they head does not differentiate them either. I can usually
differentiate spikes and roots correctly from very early on, so they do look
quite different to me. If you want, you can try to take a picture of this
spike or root and post it to abpo, and if it is a good enough photo maybe we
will be able to make educated guesses about which it is. Good luck!
Joanna

Old 21-02-2006, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Hey, Claude! Where have you been?

Diana

"Phalguy" wrote in message
here you go...

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/o...744032360.html

Claude

Old 21-02-2006, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Phalguy

Hello Diana !

Been busy ! In fact, I`ve been sick and busy. But feeling better now ...
like my Phals !

See you

Claude

Old 21-02-2006, 06:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

I can usually tell sooner, but I don't know how to explain the little
differences that I see. But usually, by the time whichever-it-is is about
1/2" long, then if it's a root you should see some of the white velamen
forming. Kenni

Old 22-02-2006, 02:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks for all the replies-I tried google and I couldn't find
anything. Least I know if it turns out to be a root it means the plants
healthy. Thanks all.....Burr

Old 22-02-2006, 04:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve

J Fortuna wrote:
Burr,
............................................... In general roots and spikes
can come out of the same kind of location on the plant, and the direction
where they head does not differentiate them either......................

Hi Joanna,
Tell me if you agree with this, or if you have seen a clear exception to
this "rule":
Spikes form on the trunk in a position parallel to the leaves on one
side or the other. A new growth in that position can still be either
spike or root but something new growing in a different position around
the trunk has to be a root.

Steve
Old 23-02-2006, 02:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Steve,
I think you have a point the Phal spikes grow under or in between leaves
or if one is unlucky then in the middle of the crown. Roots can grow
anywhere though.
Joanna

Old 23-02-2006, 09:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

Joanna

Why is it a problem?

Old 23-02-2006, 11:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve

Jack wrote:
Joanna

Why is it a problem?

or if one is unlucky then in the middle of the crown

Jack

Jack,
It's a problem because if a Phal flowers from the center, no more leaves
will grow from there. For the plant to go on, it needs to start a new
crown by making a side growth.
At worst, the plant can die. At best, the plant looks bad for a long time.

Steve
Old 24-02-2006, 03:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

Oh.ok

Thanks

Jack

Old 25-02-2006, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Don't ask me for a specific example, because my memory's just not that good.
But I have seen a VERY few exceptions [remember, I see HUNDREDS of Phal
spikes each season] and it seems to me that they were among the "oddball"
novelty types. For the most part, however, I think you have come up with a
good "rule of thumb." Kenni

"Steve" wrote in message
J Fortuna wrote:
Burr,
...............................................I n general roots and spikes
can come out of the same kind of location on the plant, and the direction
where they head does not differentiate them either......................

Hi Joanna,
Tell me if you agree with this, or if you have seen a clear exception to
this "rule":
Spikes form on the trunk in a position parallel to the leaves on one side
or the other. A new growth in that position can still be either spike or
root but something new growing in a different position around the trunk
has to be a root.

Steve

to let spike or not to let spike? J Fortuna Orchids 15 05-12-2005 03:38 AM
New root from an external root? Mike Orchids 10 01-01-2005 07:34 PM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 06:43 PM
spike or root? Diane M. Orchids 5 27-09-2003 11:02 PM
[IBC] Crasulla - Jade - To root prune or not to root prune Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 0 29-04-2003 01:32 AM