Old 13-02-2003, 01:25 PM
Michael Gerzog

Default Unregistered orchids

Susan Erickson wrote in message . ..
On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 02:21:13 GMT, "Gene Schurg"
wrote:

I google search shows a couple of Ascocenda Pattaya xxxxxx that seem to be
unregistered. Isn't this kind of like fraud or something? I feel this if
you are going to market plants you should at least put the cross on the tag
or finish the registration!

Any other views out there?

Not to sound obnoxious - but Home Depot isn't the place to buy
properly named orchids! Seriously - huge wholesale nurseries (and
it's hardly just the Thais -Twyford is also notorious), couldn't give
a hoot about the judging program, which realistically, is what names
are all about. They are trying to sell thousands of plants at a time,
mostly to people who either intend to throw them away when they've
finished flowering or can't be bothered to learn how to grow them, and
kill them in short order. Registration costs time and money and, as
Susan notes, lets the competition know what went into this season's
big seller.

At least the Thais don't use already registered names - Twyford sells
Phalaenopsis "Kaleidoscope". What they mean is "Baldan's
Kaleidoscope", and ignore the fact there's a completely different
(white and purple) Phal. Kaleidoscope. Now *that* I find incredibly
annoying. On the rare occasion I succumb to a Thai den hybrid, I
assume it's unregistered, and in fact am happy when I think the label
in the pot matches the plant, and hasn't just "helpfully" been stuck
into the nearest handy pot that didn't have one by some ignorant HD
customer or clerk!