Old 22-02-2006, 02:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Treedweller

Default Yes...I know... a Jade plant question...

On 21 Feb 2006 13:48:34 -0800, "ThreeMenFishing"
wrote:

Hi... I have searched your group for a prior answer to this to no
avail, so I hope that you can help me out....

I have a gorgeous Jade Plant, which appears to be slowly dying of
something. Each day, another stem drops off, and I am quite perplexed
as to what it could be. It is planted in good soil, and is watered in
accordance with it's care instructions (watered only when dry, etc.). I
have other Jade Plants, and they are thriving. However, this one has
variegated leaves, if that makes any difference. The leaves are in
great shape. No discernable problems there...very fleshy and healthy.
They even have new growth appearing. However, the stems appear to be
drying out in places, as though the joint cracked (the stems have
multiple 'joints') and then allowed that part of the stem to start
getting air, and dying. Does this theory hold up? Do you know what is
causing this? The plant was doing well before we left on vacation 2
months ago (for 3 weeks). Then, when we returned, this started
happening. My hypothesis is that we overwatered the plant before we
left, and then the stems became soft from too much water. The weight of
the leaves then caused the joints to crack slightly. Does this sound
right? What can I do to stop this? Any ideas? Thank You!!

Yes, it sounds like the plant got overwatered. It happens to me on at
least one plant most winters, even though I think I've stopped
overwatering by now. Usually, when I've done it, the stem gets soft
and squishy, turns black, then falls apart. If yours are dry, it may
mean you have a different problem, or maybe it's just further advanced
because you were away.

Make sure the soil is dry, don't water it awhile, cut the stems of the
broken pieces back to where they look healthy, and pot them--they will
root and make new plants if you can get all the rot out.