Old 21-02-2006, 09:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
ThreeMenFishing

Default Yes...I know... a Jade plant question...

Hi... I have searched your group for a prior answer to this to no
avail, so I hope that you can help me out....

I have a gorgeous Jade Plant, which appears to be slowly dying of
something. Each day, another stem drops off, and I am quite perplexed
as to what it could be. It is planted in good soil, and is watered in
accordance with it's care instructions (watered only when dry, etc.). I
have other Jade Plants, and they are thriving. However, this one has
variegated leaves, if that makes any difference. The leaves are in
great shape. No discernable problems there...very fleshy and healthy.
They even have new growth appearing. However, the stems appear to be
drying out in places, as though the joint cracked (the stems have
multiple 'joints') and then allowed that part of the stem to start
getting air, and dying. Does this theory hold up? Do you know what is
causing this? The plant was doing well before we left on vacation 2
months ago (for 3 weeks). Then, when we returned, this started
happening. My hypothesis is that we overwatered the plant before we
left, and then the stems became soft from too much water. The weight of
the leaves then caused the joints to crack slightly. Does this sound
right? What can I do to stop this? Any ideas? Thank You!!

Old 22-02-2006, 04:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

Did it have bugs and somebody sprayed it with an insecticide when you were
away?

You are describing the classic signs of malathion poisoning.

oups.com...

Old 22-02-2006, 02:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Treedweller

On 21 Feb 2006 13:48:34 -0800, "ThreeMenFishing"
wrote:

[...]

Yes, it sounds like the plant got overwatered. It happens to me on at
least one plant most winters, even though I think I've stopped
overwatering by now. Usually, when I've done it, the stem gets soft
and squishy, turns black, then falls apart. If yours are dry, it may
mean you have a different problem, or maybe it's just further advanced
because you were away.

Make sure the soil is dry, don't water it awhile, cut the stems of the
broken pieces back to where they look healthy, and pot them--they will
root and make new plants if you can get all the rot out.

Old 22-02-2006, 03:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Treedweller" wrote in message

Yes, it sounds like the plant got overwatered. It happens to me on at
least one plant most winters, even though I think I've stopped
overwatering by now. Usually, when I've done it, the stem gets soft
and squishy, turns black, then falls apart. If yours are dry, it may
mean you have a different problem, or maybe it's just further advanced
because you were away.

Make sure the soil is dry, don't water it awhile, cut the stems of the
broken pieces back to where they look healthy, and pot them--they will
root and make new plants if you can get all the rot out.

And, see if you can arrange for some moving air around the plant until it's
fully recovered. Small fan, and one of those timers with the little tabs you
pull out for each hour you want it to run. On for an hour, off for two, one
for an hour....etc etc.

Old 22-02-2006, 08:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

You didn't read the account very carefully at all, did you?

They never said the stems were soft and mushy, they said the leaves were
dropping and the stem segments disarticulating.

Those are signs of malathion poisoning not over watering, you clown. The
poisoned joints will not root and the plant will eventually die no matter
what you do. The plant's metabolism has been completely screwed up by a
chemical poison and the condition is not reversible.

Old 22-02-2006, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Cereus-validus-..........." wrote in message
et...
You didn't read the account very carefully at all, did you?

They never said the stems were soft and mushy, they said the leaves were
dropping and the stem segments disarticulating.

Those are signs of malathion poisoning not over watering, you clown. The
poisoned joints will not root and the plant will eventually die no matter
what you do. The plant's metabolism has been completely screwed up by a
chemical poison and the condition is not reversible.

And, what if the owner says he/she has had the plant for a number of years,
and has never applied any chemicals to it? Got another theory ready?

Old 22-02-2006, 09:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

Give the original poster a chance to reply before you get your panties in a
wad, Ancien Tangler.

At least I have a theory. That's better than your uninspired guess.
Malathion is used in more different kinds of bug sprays than just for
houseplants. Its used to control mosquitoes, in roach killers and flea dips
too!!!

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Cereus-validus-..........." wrote in
message et...

Old 22-02-2006, 10:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
Treedweller

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:33:01 GMT, "Cereus-validus-..........."
wrote:

You didn't read the account very carefully at all, did you?

They never said the stems were soft and mushy, they said the leaves were
dropping and the stem segments disarticulating.

Those are signs of malathion poisoning not over watering, you clown. The
poisoned joints will not root and the plant will eventually die no matter
what you do. The plant's metabolism has been completely screwed up by a
chemical poison and the condition is not reversible.

.. . . or the OP did not describe the situation very well, or the
"mushy" stage has already passed, or some other problem has developed
that none of us has considered. Each of which is just as likely as a
poison fairy visiting the house while they were on vacation. Since
you mostly answer questions with sarcasm, it wasn't/isn't even clear
yet if you believe that's a possibility (see "The Boy Who Cried
'Wolf'").

And if you are right, there is nothing that can be done. If I am
right, there may be time to save the plant. So, what the heck, I'll
put on my asbestos suit and disagree with the resident bully.

Old 23-02-2006, 02:40 AM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

Default Treedweller vs Chuckie!!!!

So, what the heck, I'll put on my asbestos suit and disagree with the
resident bully.

Oh yeah!!

I will be right there in the front row watching you and Chuckie duking it
out in a bitch slapping contest!!!

Which one of you will be the first to break down and cry like a little girl?