Old 23-02-2006, 04:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

Default Knock-Out Rose question

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you Gail. I did not know all this info about roses existed. One
big reason I prune so severely is we live on a windy ridge. The first
year it go so windy that at the base of each cane there was about an
inch of air before the dirt began, I think this would cause forst and
ice to get into the roots.

Roses are pretty sturdy once established. I guess
it depends on how long your roses have been
in the ground and what kind of soil you have.

That said, I'm not sure what you mean by "an
inch of air before the dirt began". If you mean
that the rootstock below the bud union was
exposed about an inch down, you can pile up
some dirt to the base of the bud union (graft).

Maybe I'll cut less and then stake a burlap "house" around them each
fall?

That might work. You could check out the
American Rose Society www.ars.org They
have articles on winterizing roses. The
articles are in a public area so you don't have
to be a member to access them. I live in an
area that seldom gets winter so I have very
little experience with winterizing.

I like to recommend the Ortho and Sunset books
on gardening. They're relatively cheap (about $15,
I think), are well written and well illustrated. Good
basic advice.

Welcome to the addictive world of roses!

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8