Old 23-02-2006, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default Rock dust

"Broadback" wrote in message
I'm sure that many of you have seen the recent publicity about mixing rock
dust with compost to make a great soil growing media. I live in North
Staffordshire, is this dust available near here and what is the cost? My
lower garden is devoid of top soil, I would love to create something to
enable me to grow anything, apart from gorse. all help welcome.

This topic was discussed sometime ago and the Jury is out.
I am very sceptical about the claims, although adding some sort of grit to a
growing media will aid drainage and probably give better seedlings.
In your case I would use loads of organic stuff as Nick has suggested.
If you check this site you can read more about the whole thing . I believe
they actually use masses of manure which,as Janet Barraclough pointed out,
they omit to mention, however, they are doing very good work

http://www.seercentre.org.uk/original/index-2.html
They have got distributors for the stuff .