Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-02-2006, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default Rock dust

"Broadback" wrote in message
I'm sure that many of you have seen the recent publicity about mixing rock
dust with compost to make a great soil growing media. I live in North
Staffordshire, is this dust available near here and what is the cost? My
lower garden is devoid of top soil, I would love to create something to
enable me to grow anything, apart from gorse. all help welcome.

This topic was discussed sometime ago and the Jury is out.
I am very sceptical about the claims, although adding some sort of grit to a
growing media will aid drainage and probably give better seedlings.
In your case I would use loads of organic stuff as Nick has suggested.
If you check this site you can read more about the whole thing . I believe
they actually use masses of manure which,as Janet Barraclough pointed out,
they omit to mention, however, they are doing very good work

http://www.seercentre.org.uk/original/index-2.html
They have got distributors for the stuff .

Rock dust Ian Paul Freemanly Ponds 4 24-02-2006 07:25 PM
Rock dust told2b Gardening 3 19-11-2005 03:30 PM
eat more rock, aka rock rocks! twisted IRONy Australia 0 24-11-2003 10:59 AM
Rock dust Judanne Permaculture 6 05-05-2003 01:08 PM
Rock dust Judanne Permaculture 12 26-12-2002 11:14 AM