Old 24-02-2006, 05:42 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Default moss growth

China wrote:

G'day Nelli,
If it's growing on your roof then it is probably a
'lichen', not a true moss. Lichen is a symbiotic relationship between two
other species. I think its a moss and a bacteria working together, forming a
colony of very tough plant material that seems to survive most extremes that
neither species could have survived alone, but I'm not sure which species,
so you 'Google it'. It has been postulated by several experts in the field
that a lichen colony in the alpine regions could turn out to be the oldest
living 'organism' on the planet. Lichens is a bluish-green feathery thing
you will often find on rooftops, rocks, and the south side of older trees,
and you pay extra for it when you buy 'bush rocks'. Calm down and smell the
moss!..and lichen...and the roses. ;-)

China
Wingham
NSW

Yes youre right, but try and answer the question!
Its very difificult to try and get the answer it seems.
Ive tried to find out as well.