Old 24-02-2006, 09:33 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Default Organic control of pear and cherry slug

HailtotheDuck wrote:

I have a question (actually my sister has a question, but her talents
as a gardener are not equalled by her talents as a computer operator,
so she asked me to put the question on her behalf).

Does anyone know about any organic ways of effectively controlling
pear and cherry slug on pear, cherry, quince trees?

Cath

Day Cath,
Goolged again and came up with Cehmical and others.Wood ash seems to work..
http://www.usyd.edu.au/macleay/larvae/none/slug.html
http://extension.usu.edu/files/gardpubs/insects.htm

Dipel is as close as youre going to get using an organic control. Its a
bioagent Its kills grubs (and these slugs?), which these appear to be
the rpoblem
Its a kind of disease which wont affect us but kills the bugs. Dipel is
a "safe" control agent. (that word means strange chemical )
Anyway its very affective and you need to read the instrictions for
complete details. Ive used it to kill White cabbage moths
Works if you apply it when you firts see the damage and butterflies.