Old 24-02-2006, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default birds

Gardening_Convert wrote:
I just had a brief conversation with someone who basically said 'where
have all the birds gone'
Apparently there doesn't seem to be the amount of birds out there that
would normally be expected.
I haven't really noticed a lack of birds but out of interest I thought
I'd ask the group if you have noticed any shortfall in birds around at
the moment.
I'm located in Reading , Berkshire

How bizarre. I was talking about it this morning with my neighbours.
We've had dawn chorus for the past few days and got woken up by the
cacophony - this morning I was up at 6.15 am and there was an amazing
bird traffic from trees to trees, on our street, wondering around as if
they owned the place, I counted 5 turtledoves, 4 woodpigeons, 4
magpies, half dozen bluetits, 2 black birds one singing his head off -
but what is lacking are the squirrels. I think the magpies have taken
over the trees on our streets. Many times for the last couple of years,
we've seen fights between them. On Monday we've all heard the owls and
I'm now keeping an eye for the baby foxes living on the ground of the
GMB College. I hope to get photos this year. Last year I've seen them
playing in the grass, jumping about and rolling around at dusk. So
cute.

So no. The birds have woken up much earlier than usual this year it
seems, even though I can see minute snow flakes flying about as I write
this.