Old 22-02-2006, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

Default birds

I just had a brief conversation with someone who basically said 'where
have all the birds gone'

Apparently there doesn't seem to be the amount of birds out there that
would normally be expected.

I haven't really noticed a lack of birds but out of interest I thought
I'd ask the group if you have noticed any shortfall in birds around at
the moment.

I'm located in Reading , Berkshire

Old 22-02-2006, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Space

no shortfall here in Liverpool. the nest in the eaves is currently
occupied. the birds actually seem to be scrabbling round quite early this
year.

Old 22-02-2006, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 22/2/06 14:12, in article
, "Gardening_Convert"
wrote:

I just had a brief conversation with someone who basically said 'where
have all the birds gone'

Apparently there doesn't seem to be the amount of birds out there that
would normally be expected.

I haven't really noticed a lack of birds but out of interest I thought
I'd ask the group if you have noticed any shortfall in birds around at
the moment.

I'm located in Reading , Berkshire

I first knew this garden in the South Hams of South Devon, in 1999. It was
alive with blue tits, chaffinches, blackbirds, sparrows, robins, and there
were many thrushes. Now, the numbers have dwindled considerably while we
have made very few changes to the garden. In comparison to some, I'm sure we
have a high bird population and we encourage them in all possible ways.
They both nest and feed in all the greenhouses, both from the seed/fat balls
and peanut feeders and from the insects. We donąt use pesticides. We have
sparrows nesting in the wooden eaves of the tea room and rooks in the
Atlantic cedar, as always; jackdaws squabble on top of the chimneys and
provide a cabaret on one of the lawns. We have all the birds I mention,
plus greenfinches and the occasional woodpecker but not in the numbers I saw
that quite short time ago. Goodness knows why, from our pov but as someone
who came to this garden quite a short time ago and now observes it every
day, I do know that bird numbers have dropped considerably.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 23-02-2006, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave the exTrailer

On 22 Feb 2006 06:12:38 -0800, "Gardening_Convert"
wrote:

I just had a brief conversation with someone who basically said 'where
have all the birds gone'

Apparently there doesn't seem to be the amount of birds out there that
would normally be expected.

I haven't really noticed a lack of birds but out of interest I thought
I'd ask the group if you have noticed any shortfall in birds around at
the moment.

I'm located in Reading , Berkshire

Theyre all eating from my bird table
ARGGGGHHHHHH
The Birds The Birds !!!!!!!!

Old 23-02-2006, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 14:12:38 +0000, Gardening_Convert wrote
(in article .com):

I just had a brief conversation with someone who basically said 'where
have all the birds gone'

Apparently there doesn't seem to be the amount of birds out there that
would normally be expected.

I haven't really noticed a lack of birds but out of interest I thought
I'd ask the group if you have noticed any shortfall in birds around at
the moment.

I'm located in Reading , Berkshire

We have absolutely masses of birds at the moment, including long-tailed tits,
blackbirds, robins, great tits, blue tits, coal tits, greenfinches, dunnocks,
nuthatches, chaffinches, and quite recently some lovely bullfinches. We do
leave lots of areas untidy specially for the insects and birds, and spend a
small fortune in bird food!

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 23-02-2006, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

...'where have all the birds gone'

I think that they are all in my garden

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 23-02-2006, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JB

wrote:

I just had a brief conversation with someone who basically said 'where
have all the birds gone'

Apparently there doesn't seem to be the amount of birds out there that
would normally be expected.

I haven't really noticed a lack of birds but out of interest I thought
I'd ask the group if you have noticed any shortfall in birds around at
the moment.

I'm located in Reading , Berkshire

Fewer starlings, sparrows, coaltits
More woodpeckers, bullfinches, goldfinches

Otherwise I'd say it doesn't seem much different to normal

Old 23-02-2006, 11:34 PM
Registered User

Location: Lincolnshire coast, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardening_Convert
'where
have all the birds gone'
Maybe its temporary. My sparrows, hundreds of them, disappear for six weeks,
from mid January to the end of February every year. They will be back next week. I am told they mass-up somewhere to find mates. Anyone else experience this? I'm on the Lincolnshire coast.
Old 24-02-2006, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

In article .com,
Gardening_Convert writes
I just had a brief conversation with someone who basically said 'where
have all the birds gone'

Apparently there doesn't seem to be the amount of birds out there that
would normally be expected.

I haven't really noticed a lack of birds but out of interest I thought
I'd ask the group if you have noticed any shortfall in birds around at
the moment.

I'm located in Reading , Berkshire

Amersham: 2 freezing degrees this morning...............
We had 18 collared doves at once this morning plus thrush, robin,
blackcap, blackbirds, sparrows, dunnocks (up to about 20 at a time
sometimes) plus 6 long tailed tits, several gulls and nearly a heron.
We seem to get loads of birds though we do have one of them there
candelabra jobs with two HUGE feeds on them, 1 coconut with fat, 12
small feeders anda table, a nut cage and a fat ball hanging from the red
oak.

No scarcity here then ...................
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association

Old 24-02-2006, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Dave Roberts wrote:
Gardening_Convert Wrote:
'where
have all the birds gone'

Maybe its temporary. My sparrows, hundreds of them, disappear for six
weeks,
from mid January to the end of February every year. They will be back
next week. I am told they mass-up somewhere to find mates. Anyone else
experience this? I'm on the Lincolnshire coast.

Interesting. My local flock of about a dozen is still busy in the hedge
here (on the very edge of town in Gloucestershire): I don't think
they've been away any time during the winter.

--
Mike.

Old 24-02-2006, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Gardening_Convert wrote:
I just had a brief conversation with someone who basically said 'where
have all the birds gone'
Apparently there doesn't seem to be the amount of birds out there that
would normally be expected.
I haven't really noticed a lack of birds but out of interest I thought
I'd ask the group if you have noticed any shortfall in birds around at
the moment.
I'm located in Reading , Berkshire

How bizarre. I was talking about it this morning with my neighbours.
We've had dawn chorus for the past few days and got woken up by the
cacophony - this morning I was up at 6.15 am and there was an amazing
bird traffic from trees to trees, on our street, wondering around as if
they owned the place, I counted 5 turtledoves, 4 woodpigeons, 4
magpies, half dozen bluetits, 2 black birds one singing his head off -
but what is lacking are the squirrels. I think the magpies have taken
over the trees on our streets. Many times for the last couple of years,
we've seen fights between them. On Monday we've all heard the owls and
I'm now keeping an eye for the baby foxes living on the ground of the
GMB College. I hope to get photos this year. Last year I've seen them
playing in the grass, jumping about and rolling around at dusk. So
cute.

So no. The birds have woken up much earlier than usual this year it
seems, even though I can see minute snow flakes flying about as I write
this.