Old 09-03-2003, 05:56 AM
gregpresley

Default Tree suggestions please

Zhan, the perfect thing in my opinion, and something that seemed perfectly
hardy in Tallahassee, whose climate is so similar to Pensacola's, is
Jerusalem Thorn. (Parkinsonia aculeata). The tallest ones I saw in
Tallahassee were about 15 feet or so. Here's a description from the sunset
book:
"Deciduous tree - Rapid growth at first, then slowing: eventually reaches
15-30 feet high and wide. yellow green bark, spiny twigs, picturesque form.
Sparse foliage; leaves 6-9 in. long, with many tiny leaflets whcih quicly
fall in drought or cold. Numerous yellow flowers in loose, 3-7 in long
clusters. Long bloom season in the spring, intermittent bloom throughout the
year. "
Because the bark is light and the leaves are light green and sparse, the
overall impression is of a light green object, which is especially nice
against the dark green backdrop of the average garden trees and shrubs in
North Florida. However, this tree does best in the sandiest, droughtiest,
sunniest place in your garden - so you'd have to evaluate your property for
those conditions.....Incidentally, the flowers are intensely fragrant.
"zhanataya" wrote in message

I'm in Pensacola, FL zone 8B. I want a small tree. About 20 ft at
maturity I guess. I want something that has very light green foliage.
Something that when a person looks at it their first impression is
yellow or gold. Does this critter exist?

zhan