Old 08-03-2003, 11:56 PM
zhanataya

Default Tree suggestions please

I'm in Pensacola, FL zone 8B. I want a small tree. About 20 ft at
maturity I guess. I want something that has very light green foliage.
Something that when a person looks at it their first impression is
yellow or gold. Does this critter exist?

zhan
Old 09-03-2003, 12:57 AM

On Sat, 08 Mar 2003 23:49:13 GMT, zhanataya wrote:

I'm in Pensacola, FL zone 8B. I want a small tree. About 20 ft at
maturity I guess. I want something that has very light green foliage.
Something that when a person looks at it their first impression is
yellow or gold. Does this critter exist?

zhan

Acacia farnesiana or Acacia smallii?

http://www.floridagardener.com/FLNat...farnesiana.htm

http://ag.arizona.edu/pima/gardening...a_smallii.html

Cercidium floridum (palo verde) or microphyllum?

http://www.naturesongs.com/vvplants/paloverde1.jpg

http://www.peds.arizona.edu/allergyi...paloverde1.htm

Regards

Geoff

Old 09-03-2003, 01:44 AM
madgard

"geoff"

wrote in

On Sat, 08 Mar 200323:49:13 GMT,

zhanataya wrote

I'm in Pensacola, FL zone 8B. I want a small tree. About 20 ft at maturity
I guess. I want something that has very light green foliage.

Something that when a person looks at it their first impression is yellow or
gold. Does this critter exist?

zhan

Acacia farnesiana or Acacia smallii?

http://www.floridagardener.com/FLNat...farnesiana.htm

http://ag.arizona.edu/pima/gardening...a_smallii.html

Cercidium floridum (palo verde) or microphyllum?

http://www.naturesongs.com/vvplants/paloverde1.jpg

http://www.peds.arizona.edu/allergyi...shrubs/palover
de1.htm

Regards

Geoff

great choices, Geoff!!

maddie

Old 09-03-2003, 05:56 AM
gregpresley

Zhan, the perfect thing in my opinion, and something that seemed perfectly
hardy in Tallahassee, whose climate is so similar to Pensacola's, is
Jerusalem Thorn. (Parkinsonia aculeata). The tallest ones I saw in
Tallahassee were about 15 feet or so. Here's a description from the sunset
book:
"Deciduous tree - Rapid growth at first, then slowing: eventually reaches
15-30 feet high and wide. yellow green bark, spiny twigs, picturesque form.
Sparse foliage; leaves 6-9 in. long, with many tiny leaflets whcih quicly
fall in drought or cold. Numerous yellow flowers in loose, 3-7 in long
clusters. Long bloom season in the spring, intermittent bloom throughout the
year. "
Because the bark is light and the leaves are light green and sparse, the
overall impression is of a light green object, which is especially nice
against the dark green backdrop of the average garden trees and shrubs in
North Florida. However, this tree does best in the sandiest, droughtiest,
sunniest place in your garden - so you'd have to evaluate your property for
those conditions.....Incidentally, the flowers are intensely fragrant.

Old 09-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Mike Gilmore

Pittosporum warnham gold. From 2' hi x18" at planting this will be 6' hi x
4' wide in three years.

Regards,
Mike Gilmore
www.winsfordwalledgarden.freeserve.co.uk

Old 10-03-2003, 12:56 AM
animaux

On Sat, 08 Mar 2003 23:49:13 GMT, zhanataya wrote:

I'm in Pensacola, FL zone 8B. I want a small tree. About 20 ft at
maturity I guess. I want something that has very light green foliage.
Something that when a person looks at it their first impression is
yellow or gold. Does this critter exist?

zhan

I'm telling on you. Better get the dumplings going.
Old 14-03-2003, 11:08 AM
madgard

"zhanataya" wrote in message

I'm in Pensacola, FL zone 8B. I want a small tree. About 20 ft at
maturity I guess. I want something that has very light green foliage.
Something that when a person looks at it their first impression is
yellow or gold. Does this critter exist?

zhan

This is to let you, Geoff, Greg and Mike know that Zhan will be unable to
respond back to you for the moment (actually it will be about 2 weeks) due
to her getting a new computer. She has had her older one in the shop to be
updated and discovered the upgrade options were much more economical to just
get a newer one! GBSEG She was fretting over her inability to respond
back to you sweet men in your responses to her on the tree inquiry, but give
her time, she will be back. She expressed her appreciation to all of you for
your kind replies and didn't want you to think her rude by her lack of
response for the moment. I just discovered this last night when she called
me to give me the news.

She also got herself a little part-time job locally, so it's probably a
good thing her computer is getting a face lift. Gives her time to get used
to her schedule, eh? If you want to send her a response, hang on to it for
a bit and wait until she pops back on the ng.

madgardener, up on the ridge, back in fairy holler, where it's looking and
smelling like spring all the time, overlooking English Mountain in Eastern
Tennessee, zone 6b Sunset zone 36.

Old 14-03-2003, 06:56 PM

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 06:08:03 -0500, "madgard"
wrote:

"zhanataya" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Thanks for the explanation, Maddie. I was thinking that it was unlike
Zhan to desert a thread that she had started, so I was getting a bit
concerned as to whether she was ok. Good to hear that she is fine!!

Geoff

[IMG] code is On

Insect Spray For Tree Suggestions, Please. (leaves being eaten) Robert11 Lawns 5 01-05-2006 10:56 PM
Tree suggestions please bnd777 United Kingdom 39 25-12-2003 11:12 PM
Tree Suggestions Please? Sue Gardening 0 30-09-2003 01:32 AM
Newbie: Small tree suggestions please Andrew Hargreaves United Kingdom 10 08-07-2003 11:41 PM
Plant/Tree Suggestions Please Andy United Kingdom 7 20-06-2003 03:20 PM