Old 24-02-2006, 07:25 PM posted to rec.ponds,uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Rock dust

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Broadback wrote:

Adding manure ( I use lots) to the ground I wish to improve will do
no good. It is what I believe is called gravel, with no topsoil at
all. I say believe because my idea of gravel is the sharp edged
small stones that are used for concrete making. This is various
sized pebbles in a very meagre amount of sand and clay.

I suggest a few loads of builders's sand, and a third the amount of
manure. It may not work, but nothing much else will if it doesn't.

I hadn't realised that Broadback was talking about shingly stuff. The
quantity of rock dust needed to give that a reasonably soil-like texture
would need Branson's budget, so sand and fine quarry waste with ground
limestone and muck looks like the only way to go. A few loads of what
builders sometimes dispose of from uneven sites would be good if you can
get it: they may try to call it "topsoil", but you can fairly safely bet
it won't be. They shouldn't charge for that, as you're saving them
dumping costs. I've used it, and had to pull out quite a lot of junk,
but it was manageable.

It also sounds to me like a case for planting pockets. If you don't want
to spend so much money, you could just improve small areas as planting
sites for key plants, and if necessary fill in the gaps as the years go
by.

--
Mike.