Old 09-03-2003, 08:45 AM
Brian Watson

Default garlic chives

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in
message ...
On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 13:49:39 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

I recently found a packet of seeds called garlic chives, or "lazy

garlic"
claiming to be a chive-like plant with a garlic flavour/aroma. Anyone

tried
it? And was it any good?

There are actually two distinct species called "garlic chives":
Allium tuberosum and (iirc) Allium racemosum. One has white
flowers and the other mauve flowers, but I can't tell you which
species is which color.

Garlic chives (usually white-flowered) are a common item in
Chinese produce markets here. Try putting them in a stir-fry.

Thanks everyone. Easy to grow and stir-fryable sounds like right up my
street. Sowing tomorrow.

OK, so "good for cooking", but any idea if one is better than the other for
slugbait (which is where we came in)?
--
Brian
"Stuck down a hole, in the fog, in the middle of the night, with an owl."