Old 25-02-2006, 12:02 AM posted to aus.gardens
HailtotheDuck

Default Organic control of pear and cherry slug

Ruth Lawrence wrote:
"HailtotheDuck" wrote in message
u...

I have a question (actually my sister has a question, but her talents as a
gardener are not equalled by her talents as a computer operator, so she
asked me to put the question on her behalf).

Does anyone know about any organic ways of effectively controlling pear
and cherry slug on pear, cherry, quince trees?

Thumbtacking scotchbrite scourer pads in a complete ring all around the
trunk is said to work: they won't crawl past it.

Ruth

Thank you both. I'm seeing my sister today so I'll pass on what you've
suggested. She lives in Kensington (inner Melbourne) near where the old
stockyards were, and she has the most wonderful healthy productive
garden. I think it grows so well because she's a gifted and dedicated
gardener, but she reckons it's because it's growing in 100 years worth
of horse manure. Probably a bit of both.

Anyway, thanks.