Old 24-02-2006, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default Daylily - longflowering?

Mike Lyle wrote:
Rupert wrote:
Now called Clivia miniata? One does not wish to offend!
No it's not the same thing as a day lily

I was sure I'd reply to you both ... my post's vanished. I didn't take
offend Rupert )) and I don't have an encyclopedia would you beleive.
I googled clivia and it's not that. Looks far too fragile for me though

I'm sure the "kaffir lily" is schizostylis: red or pink, and flowering
in early winter over here. And, no, that's not a day lily, either. One
of the clivias flowers for a very long time, but I've never had one.

.....Mike you're right. The fakir is not a day lily. It's a
schizostylis. I would have never remembered this but now I will. Pink
but flowered until november. I remember cutting it down as it was the
last flower I had in one of my beds and it had flopped and looked
terrible. I'm sure it was there early summer too. I'll make a note of
when it comes out again.

Tomorrow I'm getting myself an encyclopedia. I have the RHS
encyclopedia of herbs. Any suggestion for a good one?