Old 24-02-2006, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
peterlsutton

Default Daylily - longflowering?

Sometime ago I downloaded a spreadsheet with flowering data for perennials
from a lady on a US forum. I have only just looked closer at it.

Her longest flowering perennials were three Daylilies "barbara mitchell",
"ed murray" and "pandoras box" all at 244 days (thats 34 weeks!). That is an
extra-ordinarily long time. I do not know where she lived, or her climate,
which is obviously key.

Has anyone had a Daylily in the UK flower for anything approaching that.

--
Peter
N Yorks - clay - slightly acid - mostly full sun

Old 24-02-2006, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

peterlsutton wrote:
Sometime ago I downloaded a spreadsheet with flowering data for
perennials
from a lady on a US forum. I have only just looked closer at it.
Her longest flowering perennials were three Daylilies "barbara mitchell",
"ed murray" and "pandoras box" all at 244 days (thats 34 weeks!). That is
an
extra-ordinarily long time. I do not know where she lived, or her
climate,
which is obviously key.
Has anyone had a Daylily in the UK flower for anything approaching that.

I've got a kafir lily which flowered for about 24 weeks last year. Not
sure if the kafir lily is one of the day lily !?!

Now called Clivia miniata? One does not wish to offend!
No it's not the same thing as a day lily

Old 24-02-2006, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Rupert wrote:
"La Puce" wrote in message
[...]
I've got a kafir lily which flowered for about 24 weeks last year.
Not sure if the kafir lily is one of the day lily !?!

Now called Clivia miniata? One does not wish to offend!
No it's not the same thing as a day lily

I'm sure the "kaffir lily" is schizostylis: red or pink, and flowering
in early winter over here. And, no, that's not a day lily, either. One
of the clivias flowers for a very long time, but I've never had one.

--
Mike.

Old 24-02-2006, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Mike Lyle wrote:
Rupert wrote:
Now called Clivia miniata? One does not wish to offend!
No it's not the same thing as a day lily

I was sure I'd reply to you both ... my post's vanished. I didn't take
offend Rupert )) and I don't have an encyclopedia would you beleive.
I googled clivia and it's not that. Looks far too fragile for me though

I'm sure the "kaffir lily" is schizostylis: red or pink, and flowering
in early winter over here. And, no, that's not a day lily, either. One
of the clivias flowers for a very long time, but I've never had one.

.....Mike you're right. The fakir is not a day lily. It's a
schizostylis. I would have never remembered this but now I will. Pink
but flowered until november. I remember cutting it down as it was the
last flower I had in one of my beds and it had flopped and looked
terrible. I'm sure it was there early summer too. I'll make a note of
when it comes out again.

Tomorrow I'm getting myself an encyclopedia. I have the RHS
encyclopedia of herbs. Any suggestion for a good one?

Old 24-02-2006, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Mike Lyle wrote:
Rupert wrote:
Now called Clivia miniata? One does not wish to offend!
No it's not the same thing as a day lily

No offence taken Ruppert )) But I don't have a flower encyclopedia,
would you beleive, only the RHS encyclopedia of herbs. But I googled
and it's not a clivia but ....

I'm sure the "kaffir lily" is schizostylis: red or pink, and flowering
in early winter over here. And, no, that's not a day lily, either. One
of the clivias flowers for a very long time, but I've never had one.

..... Mike, I've found the Kafir lily, mine!! It's schizostylis indeed.
And yes, it's not a day lily. The Kafir however flowered for ages,
perhaps until end of October, begining of November because it was the
last flower I had in one of my beds, and I cut it out because it
flopped and looked terrible. I'm sure it was there early July, if not
before though. I'll just have to make a note of when it comes out this
year again. The clivia looks far too fragile for me to have.