Old 09-03-2003, 10:11 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default What can I do with heavy water logged soil?

On Sat, 8 Mar 2003 19:25:03 -0000, "KW"
wrote:

I have a lower garden area of about 1/4 hectare. I have only just reclaimed
it from the wild. It is very waterlogged, and the soil is heavy.

I would like to grow something in it, but I guess I will need to rotovate
the soil first.

What would you do with a bit of ground like this to get it going again?

I wouldn't rotovate, I think. Instead, try putting down a thick
layer of dead leaves or other rough organic matter.

Plant moisture lovers: candelabra primroses are an obvious
choice. Ditto astilbes, gunnera, etc. Beth Chatto once wrote a
book "The Damp Garden" that might be very helpful.

PS: Surely the subject line "heavy water logged soil" means

((heavy + water-logged) soil)

and not

(((heavy-water) logged) soil)

Or is deuterium oxide so common in your parts?

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada