Old 08-03-2003, 07:35 PM
KW

Default What can I do with heavy water logged soil?

I have a lower garden area of about 1/4 hectare. I have only just reclaimed
it from the wild. It is very waterlogged, and the soil is heavy.

I would like to grow something in it, but I guess I will need to rotovate
the soil first.

What would you do with a bit of ground like this to get it going again?

--
Regards

Kevin Wade

Old 09-03-2003, 12:36 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "KW" contains these words:

I have a lower garden area of about 1/4 hectare. I have only just reclaimed
it from the wild. It is very waterlogged, and the soil is heavy.

I would like to grow something in it, but I guess I will need to rotovate
the soil first.

What would you do with a bit of ground like this to get it going again?

To stop it waterlogging, you would almost certainly have to drain it;
see www.paving.expert.
Alternatively, you could dig out some holes for ponds and plant a bog
garden round them; loads of very interesting and attractive plants are
suitable for bog conditions and it creates a good wildlife environment.

Janet.

Old 09-03-2003, 09:10 AM
Roberto

I know it sounds silly but you must find out why it is waterlogged first. If
there is a spring or similar then no amount of adding compost etc is going
to make any difference

:

Old 09-03-2003, 11:08 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , KW
writes
I have a lower garden area of about 1/4 hectare. I have only just reclaimed
it from the wild. It is very waterlogged, and the soil is heavy.

If it can't be drained, either turn it into a bog garden or make raised
beds.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 09-03-2003, 04:36 PM
pied piper

"KW" wrote in message
I have a lower garden area of about 1/4 hectare. I have only just

reclaimed
it from the wild. It is very waterlogged, and the soil is heavy.

I would like to grow something in it, but I guess I will need to rotovate
the soil first.

What would you do with a bit of ground like this to get it going again?

--
Regards

Kevin Wade

apply gypsum to improve the drainage

Old 09-03-2003, 10:11 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sat, 8 Mar 2003 19:25:03 -0000, "KW"
wrote:

I have a lower garden area of about 1/4 hectare. I have only just reclaimed
it from the wild. It is very waterlogged, and the soil is heavy.

I would like to grow something in it, but I guess I will need to rotovate
the soil first.

What would you do with a bit of ground like this to get it going again?

I wouldn't rotovate, I think. Instead, try putting down a thick
layer of dead leaves or other rough organic matter.

Plant moisture lovers: candelabra primroses are an obvious
choice. Ditto astilbes, gunnera, etc. Beth Chatto once wrote a
book "The Damp Garden" that might be very helpful.

PS: Surely the subject line "heavy water logged soil" means

((heavy + water-logged) soil)

and not

(((heavy-water) logged) soil)

Or is deuterium oxide so common in your parts?

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 10-03-2003, 01:16 PM
AWM

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in
message ...
On Sat, 8 Mar 2003 19:25:03 -0000, "KW"
wrote:

snip

PS: Surely the subject line "heavy water logged soil" means

((heavy + water-logged) soil)

and not

(((heavy-water) logged) soil)

Or is deuterium oxide so common in your parts?

Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Perhaps is it some kind of urological complaint ?;-0

Old 10-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 21:57:01 GMT,
(Rodger Whitlock) wrote:

I have a lower garden area of about 1/4 hectare. I have only just reclaimed
it from the wild. It is very waterlogged, and the soil is heavy.

Plant gunnera?
Cheers
Pam

Bristol
Old 12-03-2003, 08:02 PM

The garden I left had soil like that. I tried to fight it, and dug
vast amounts of soil, sand and organic matter in, but with hindsight I
would say work with it, even it it does mean a bog garden. One thing
I did find though was that having someting - anything - in the soil -
helped. mine lay domant for a short while and became a nightmare.I I
presume that plants draw water from the soil, which may be a small
effect, but is better than nothing. I bought the damp garden book
mentioned, and it lookd good, but then moved before having a chance to
sort anything out.

Sam

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 11:02:11 +0000, Jane Ransom
wrote:

In article , KW
writes