Old 25-02-2006, 11:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Anne Lurie

Default Knock-Out Rose question

Wow! I am new to roses, but I think mulch can only help this situation --
even if it does not cover the base of the canes, maybe it would help keep
moisture in when you water.

Are you sure it is wind that is "de-soiling" your roses? Could soil be
washing away when it rains?

It might be helpful if you tell us where you a what country, what
gardening "zone."

Anne

wrote in message
oups.com...
No, I mean that the wind was whipping the canes so severely the soil
around the cane was recedeing, exposing the the cane portion below the
surface to the elements. This is exactly the same way people's gum
recede in their mouths due to grinding teeth while sleeping.