Old 13-02-2003, 04:55 PM
Susan Erickson

Default Unregistered orchids

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:46:29 -0500, "Al"
wrote:

.......................... clipped................
. The bride walking down the isle with a big bouquet of Den. Emma
White sold to her by her florist doesn't care if the 2 dozen pretty white
sprays are all the same cultivar as long as it looks pretty. But the most
famous example of this idea jumps out of the orchid trade and into the
daffodil trade. For collectors Daffodils are bred and registered in pretty
much the same way as Orchids, I think. However, in the cut flower and bulb
producing trades there is a very famous big yellow daffodil called "King
Alfred". The lore surrounding this name says that the original strain died
out long ago but newer improved big yellow daffodils are still marketed
under this name because the buying public recognizes the name and attaches
it to big yellow daffodils.

What was your question?

Thanks Al. Glad the Alien let you explain this so well for us. It
is really quite this simple. The growers are focused on the
"geranium trade" pot it enjoy it and toss it. While we think it
is a great find that must grow for ever.
Love the King Alfred story. I too have bought "King Alfred"
because I "knew" what I was getting.

SuE