Old 10-03-2003, 08:26 AM
Martin Sykes

Default REPLANTING TREES

"alan kearn" wrote in message
om...
I have some beech trees i would like to move to another part of my
garden. Some are about three inches in diameter and ten feet tall and
some are about one and a half inches in diameter and six feet tall. If
it is possible to replant them how should i go about it.

THANKS
Alan Kearn.

Getting them out of the way before the next joyrider hits them? :-)

Should be fine to move them now but get it done ASAP before they start
growing in earnest. According to the textbooks you should dig a trench
around each, well away from the trunk and then remove soil with a fork until
you expose the roots and have got it light enough to lift. Then just move it
into a hole in the new position. Stake it low down to stop the it rocking
until the roots settle in.

The less recommended method is to just lever it out with a fork and by
rocking it until you can wrench it out of the ground. This is what I did
with a number of young trees of a similar size last year and they suffered
no obvious ill effects.