Old 10-03-2003, 12:08 PM
LeighMo

Default Varieties of Plants in your tanks

I try to stay with less than a hand full of plants in a tank. Right
now I have only 10 in a 75g. Its a mix of a few reds to add color.
Anyway, I think its better to concentrate on a smaller number.

Yeah, I agree. Amano shows this beautifully in his photos.

Unfortunately, most of us don't have very many tanks, and we want to keep all
kinds of plants, so end up with two dozen different species crammed in each
tank. g

Unless you've very experienced, I do think you should start out with a wide
variety of plants. It's not easy to predict which plants will do well in which
tank. Sometimes, even if you choose plants that are supposed to do well with
your pH, hardness, temperature, lighting, etc., they don't make it. And
sometimes plants that supposedly won't grow in your conditions do just fine.
If you get a lot of different kinds, you're bound to find some which thrive for
you.

In addition, some plants may turn out to be more work than you want to do.
That beautiful Cabomba that grows an inch a day may be thrilling at first, but
after a few months, you may get tired of pruning and replanting it twice a
week. So wait awhile before you thin your selection. After a few months, you
may come to appreciate lower-maintenance plants, even if they aren't as
striking.

Leigh