Old 10-03-2003, 06:57 PM
John NJ

Default [IBC] Advise on Setting Up the Yard

Some info:

1) I'm new to Bonsai.
2) I don't have any real bonsai, only pre-bonsai already is bonsai pots or
nursery stock.
3) I live in north eastern NJ - zone 6.
4) All of my plants are currently indoors and doing well, either under
lights or tucked away in a cold, dark space.
5) I want to move all of the plants outside for the summer without killing
them.

I have the following:

Larch
Japanese Gray Bark Elm
Boxwood
Satsuki Azalea
Chinzon Azalea
Variegated Ficus
Japanese White Pine
Chinese Elm
Alaska Cedar
Dwarf Brush Cherry
Miniature Brush Cherry
Myrtle
Juniper
Serissa

I plan on putting the nursery stock in wooden training boxes or oversized
plastic pots. The plants that are already in bonsai pots will stay that
way.

***What kind of screening is used for the bottom of the boxes?

I plan on setting up a watering system (Dripworks).

I plan on building a bench for the plants in the yard.

Sound ok so far? Where should the bench go? Full sun, partial sun, morning
or afternoon sun? Should I split the plants into two groups? Is it better
to build a wooden baffle over the plants for diffused sun/shade? Shade
cloth? Is it better to leave the plants on the ground (cooler)?

Thanks for the help.
John-NJ

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++