Old 10-03-2003, 06:57 PM
John NJ

Default [IBC] Advise on Setting Up the Yard

Some info:

1) I'm new to Bonsai.
2) I don't have any real bonsai, only pre-bonsai already is bonsai pots or
nursery stock.
3) I live in north eastern NJ - zone 6.
4) All of my plants are currently indoors and doing well, either under
lights or tucked away in a cold, dark space.
5) I want to move all of the plants outside for the summer without killing
them.

I have the following:

Larch
Japanese Gray Bark Elm
Boxwood
Satsuki Azalea
Chinzon Azalea
Variegated Ficus
Japanese White Pine
Chinese Elm
Alaska Cedar
Dwarf Brush Cherry
Miniature Brush Cherry
Myrtle
Juniper
Serissa

I plan on putting the nursery stock in wooden training boxes or oversized
plastic pots. The plants that are already in bonsai pots will stay that
way.

***What kind of screening is used for the bottom of the boxes?

I plan on setting up a watering system (Dripworks).

I plan on building a bench for the plants in the yard.

Sound ok so far? Where should the bench go? Full sun, partial sun, morning
or afternoon sun? Should I split the plants into two groups? Is it better
to build a wooden baffle over the plants for diffused sun/shade? Shade
cloth? Is it better to leave the plants on the ground (cooler)?

Thanks for the help.
John-NJ

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 10-03-2003, 07:34 PM
John Jones

"John NJ" wrote in message
[...]

I don't use those, but I think window screen

I plan on setting up a watering system (Dripworks).

I plan on building a bench for the plants in the yard.

Sound ok so far? Where should the bench go? Full sun, partial

sun, morning
or afternoon sun?

I'm in zone 7 (SW TN), and it gets quite hot here. Experience has
taught me to put the benches where they get morning sun and shade
in the afternoon. Without exception, they have all done better
with morming sun and afternoon shade/partial shade. They need
protection from dessicating wind, so mine are against a fence or
the house. I don't have any baffles or screens over my benches.

Should I split the plants into two groups? Is it better
to build a wooden baffle over the plants for diffused

sun/shade? Shade
cloth? Is it better to leave the plants on the ground

(cooler)?

If I had no exposure but southern or western, I would prolly use
baffles or shade cloth.

Don't put your plants on the ground. They are subject to being
invaded by insects, harmed by animals, and getting stepped on.

Old 10-03-2003, 08:33 PM
Jim Lewis

[...]

All of that is good advice. As for grouping plants . . . put
plants together that require the same watering regime. The
azaleas and elms could go together. And the tropicals and
semi-tropicals could go together. Boxwood, juniper and larch
probably could be grouped together, tho I've never done a larch
so may be wrong there.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --