Old 10-03-2003, 07:57 PM
Martin Sykes

Default planting bulbs

"manxman" wrote in message
om...
Part of my garden is on a steep slope that is hard to get to on a
regular basis
I'm planning of putting a weed suppressent membrane down then cover it
with chippings would it be possible to then plant bulbs after cutting
holes in the membrane are would they not find a way through

You need to check that what you're putting on the slope will not just wash
down to the bottom. I think bark chippings are OK up to about 1 in 6 and you
can get various grades which will cope with different slopes.

Your bulbs might survive for a while but they'll want to form clumps so
won't all get through the holes you cut. If you use a thick enough layer of
bark, it should stop the weeds on its own and let the bulbs through.

Martin