Old 10-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Setzler

Default Tomato by April?

I have gotten an Early Girl around June 24th, but that doesn't happen often. I'm
in SW Virginia, and our last frost date is May 15. I put a couple of tom plants
out under cover with bottles of almost black water around the inside of the cage
and wrap the cage in plastic wrap. I cover the top with blankets or something
when it threatens to get really cold. I start the plants in Jan. and
progressively transplant them to larger and larger pots, putting them in deeper
each time. Another trick is to warm the spot up outside with hot water a while
before planting. good luck,

susan

Heather Humpleman wrote:

Last year, I didn't get tomato until nearly late June. This year
I determine to change a few things to see if I can produce tomato early.
Here is my reason. Early Girl says 54 days to maturity. It's early
March(9th) and my plant is about 2 inches tall(about 2 weeks old)
that means I have about 40 days to maturity left. That would put
me right into late April. Is this too ambitious? I live in Northern
California and the plant is now outside in a pot.
Please let me know if anyone manages to grow Early Girl
this early successfully.
Thanks
Quyen