Old 09-03-2003, 11:45 PM
Heather Humpleman

Default Tomato by April?

Last year, I didn't get tomato until nearly late June. This year
I determine to change a few things to see if I can produce tomato early.
Here is my reason. Early Girl says 54 days to maturity. It's early
March(9th) and my plant is about 2 inches tall(about 2 weeks old)
that means I have about 40 days to maturity left. That would put
me right into late April. Is this too ambitious? I live in Northern
California and the plant is now outside in a pot.
Please let me know if anyone manages to grow Early Girl
this early successfully.
Thanks
Quyen

Old 10-03-2003, 03:08 AM
matfox

Here is my reason. Early Girl says 54 days to maturity. days to maturity
means days from transplant not seeds start.

Old 10-03-2003, 12:32 PM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

From the East coast......zone 6.......the earliest I have picked ripe
tomatoes was March 15th......growing them in a coldframe with a rear hight
of four feet..the variety was Early Girl......started them in the basement
about ten weeks before planting out........gave some heat in the coldframe
via a 100 watt bulb........may not be practical for you but answers your
question........40 days to maturity approximates the time from planting out
to picking time with the transplant being about 8 weeks old...even then 40
days might be a little optomistic.....one way to cure your "problem" is to
start them much earlier.

Harold W.

Old 10-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Jim Carter

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 15:39:45 GMT, "Timber" wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

I wish, we are under snow till april and get hail storms through may!

We have a bird feeder. There are raw peanuts in the wild bird seed. (This is
going somewhere, but it may take a while to get there.)

A squirrel used to take a few of the peanuts and bury them on the property of
our neighbours on either side of us. The peanuts grew. The neighbours thought
these plants were weeds and they pulled them out with some of the peanut shell
still attached. The neighbours, smiling, subsequently told us about them.
Neither my wife nor I had ever seen a peanut plant.

Fast forward to last fall.

My wife decided to plant one of the peanuts in a large flower pot to see what
they looked like. I was eating the last of the tomatoes that we had picked
green and let ripen indoors. I took a seed from this tomato and pushed it into
the pot where the peanut had been planted. The tomato seed germinated first and
then the peanut bravely stuck its head out of the soil.

We do not have a south facing window, but we put the pot near the window that
received the most light. Both plants grew and we had to separate them into
their own pots.

Both plants have survived, somehow! Audrey, the tomato plant, is gangly,
clearly showing the lack of light she experienced during the winter.
Nevertheless, she is now about five feet tall. But wait, she has started to
grow flowers now that the sun has come around and hits her for a couple of hours
every day!

Who knows? I might be enjoying beefsteak tomatoes while you are eating Early
Girls.
--
Spelling and grammatical errors are deliberate
to catch copyright violators. ©¿©¬
Old 10-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Setzler

I have gotten an Early Girl around June 24th, but that doesn't happen often. I'm
in SW Virginia, and our last frost date is May 15. I put a couple of tom plants
out under cover with bottles of almost black water around the inside of the cage
and wrap the cage in plastic wrap. I cover the top with blankets or something
when it threatens to get really cold. I start the plants in Jan. and
progressively transplant them to larger and larger pots, putting them in deeper
each time. Another trick is to warm the spot up outside with hot water a while
before planting. good luck,

susan