Old 27-02-2006, 04:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

Default Manure on lawns

"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote in message
Travis M. wrote:
"Mark Anderson" wrote in message
.net

The other day I watched an episode of Magnum P.I., a television
series that ran in the very early 80s. Magnum P.I. was based in
Hawaii. Not to get into any specifics but in this episode Higgens
had ordered a pallet of dried manure to place on the lawn to
increase nitrogen (as he claimed in the show). At the end of the
show they show him shoveling this manure and throwing it right onto
the lawn.

Does anyone do this and is this better than the standard weed and
feed that you get at the local big box store? I'm a bit curious
as to the properties of manure since I'm thinking of experimenting
with it as part of my soil mixture in my container garden this year
but I don't want to add too much.

Manure is better than weed-n-feed.

Just make sure it's well rotted, else those seeds that need to pass
through the cow's gut to sprout will come up all over your lawn.

also if it is fresh it will very probably burn your grass

rob