Old 10-03-2003, 08:21 PM
Tony Morgan

Default planting bulbs

In message , manxman
writes
Part of my garden is on a steep slope that is hard to get to on a
regular basis I'm planning of putting a weed suppressent membrane down
then cover it with chippings would it be possible to then plant bulbs
after cutting holes in the membrane are would they not find a way through

If you mean stone chipping then don't (on a steep slope). You'll finish
up with a pile of stone chippings at the bottom. Use river gravel
instead; it doesn't "walk" downhill like chippings, gravel and scree do,
and will self-support on relatively steep slopes. It's usually cheaper
too (depending on where you live).

For your bulbs, scrape the river gravel back, cut a nine-inch cross in
the membrane and fold back underneath. Plant 3 or 4 bulbs but leave 6"
dia of soil showing. You might get a few weeds around each group, but
they're easy to pluck out.

--
Tony Morgan