Old 10-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Trish Brown

Default Crickets

Pete 'n' Trish wrote:

What do crickets do apart from make a chiry wee noise. Do they bite like
most other greatures? Obviously not an ozzie! Our crickets are wee 1/2 in
black things , in ole n.z. I thought that the crickets over here were frogs
judging by there noise. I have some that seem to live in the skylights do
they eats walls or anything? trish in Sydney

G'day, Trish! Small world, eh?

Of *course* crickets can bite! Just take a look at their mouthparts! And
so can grasshoppers! Being members of the family Orthoptera, they have
very large chewing maxillae, or jaws, and pretty clever auxiliary
mouthparts for manipulating food *into* said jaws. They live on grass
and vegetation (ie roots and leaves). Most often, crickets and g'hoppers
*won't* bite, but I have been bitten by a large green locust and it
*hurt*!

The most annoying thing about crickets is that if one gets inside, it
will call for help incessantly while you're trying to get some sleep!
(Well, that's been the case in my experience, anyway!)

HTH,
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia