Old 10-03-2003, 10:00 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default REPLANTING TREES

On 9 Mar 2003 23:45:08 -0800, (alan kearn)
wrote:

I have some beech trees i would like to move to another part of my
garden. Some are about three inches in diameter and ten feet tall and
some are about one and a half inches in diameter and six feet tall. If
it is possible to replant them how should i go about it.

The bonsai folks say that beeches that need rootpruning (a
regular occurence with bonsai) should be dealt with in the early
spring just as the buds begin to swell.

I've done this, cutting away 3/4 of the root system as the first
step in creating a real bonsai beech from potbound nursery stock.
The tree went into complete stasis for about six weeks, then
started to grow on and has done fine since.

I'd think that a tree of 3" caliper is pushing things more than a
little, however. Be prepared for serious losses.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada