Old 10-03-2003, 10:32 PM
B & J

Default How do I keep my roses alive?

"Starlord reach.com" starlord@in* wrote in message
Roses don't mind heat, but right now before they get to hot, a good shovel

full
of steer manure around their base with a slow soaking that day will not

hurt
them at all. Then I'd use the Ortho Rose Guard rose food around them.

SIAR

"will" wrote in message
Hello.

I recently planted a Don Juan climbing rose plant in my back yard.

I was wondering what is suggested in order to get the plant established
and on it's way to a healthy life.

I live in Texas, and the summers tend to get a bit hot if that makes any
difference......

Appreciate the help.......

=will=

I've gotten in the habit of spraying the foliage of my Don Juan and hybrid
teas with full-strength Miracid solution every ten days. It works to keep
black spot and other fungal diseases in check. The only times I have trouble
with black spot is when I try to stretch that spraying time frame to a
longer period when we have a dry spell. That doesn't work - ten days does! I
do add humus to the soil every spring, but I also put a cup of alfalfa
pellets (rabbit food) around the base of each rose each spring, cover with
an inch and a half of mulch and add another cup in mid July. Since I've
started doing that, the foliage has remained clean and a lush, dark green.
Now I wish I could figure out a way to keep those miserable cucumber beetles
and thrips from eating holes in the petals.

BTW, Don Juan is a heavy spring bloomer for me with occasional blossoms
during the heat of the summer and a minor burst of blooms when it cools in
the fall. Is that usual?

John (zone 6)