Old 10-03-2003, 11:10 PM
ned

Default Garden shed cover up!

Drakanthus wrote:
Could the NG give me some advice on growing something to grow
up/over a newly erected garden shed.
I propose to plant some kind of climber on it's east facing side.
I had thought of Russian Vine but is it as invasive as I'm led to
believe? Maybe a vigorous ivy?
Your help would be most appreciated.
Thanks for your time,
Alec Powell

Clematis is a good option. Lots of varieties to choose. Some are
evergreen if you want to hide the shed all year round.

Russian vine can grow very big very quickly - up to 6 inches PER
DAY in Summer and soon get out of control.

Personally I'm not keen on Ivy - it is a bit boring and not as
quick to grow as Clematis.

Clematis - yes. It can be controlled !!!
Honeysuckle? Like a lot of clematis, loses leaves in winter.
Russian Vine - rampant. 'Could end up engulfing the shed.
Ivy - Its very tight foliage tends to retain dampness and you could
find the shed rotting away under the camouflage.

--
ned