Old 11-03-2003, 01:56 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Pot FAQ

I hope all you pottery (I almost said pot) enthusiasts (you see
what trouble THAT would have gotten me into! ;-) will help
Webmaster John Jarrett out with the pottery FAQ he wants to put
together. Response on the gallery has been rather limp.

We don't need trade secrets, or confidential glaze recipes, but
maybe where-to-get-started information, clay and equipment
supplier lists, magazines for pottery (in general, I think,
because a lot of that can be turned to bonsai pots), exhibits,
favorite potters (he already has Mike H.'s URL and a few others,
but more will be welcome. Does Dan Barton (or the Mrs.) still do
pots? Who has (or where do you get) info on antique pots, pot
chops, and collectible pots and accessories. Is there a bonsai
potter's association? (And why not?) Are there competitions
bonsai pot makers could enter (see below)?

Here are a couple of pages that may be of interest (most potters
already know them):

1. The recent pottery competition winners:
http://www.bonsai-nbf.org/nbf/potcom...erywinners.htm

2. The Takagi Museum pottery exhibit (a rather disappointing
page; they need a better webmaster):
http://www.bonsaimuseum.org/e/tenji_t.html

There MUST be others.

Here's a North Carolina potter who makes a lot of other stuff --
for instance, she makes lots of tiles that could make nice
display stands for small trees -- and who dabbles in modernish
bonsai pots. I have one of hers with a small wisteria in it):
www.skhpottery.com.

Turtle Hill Ceramics here in Tallahassee (e-mail:
) also makes a few nice
medium-size bonsai pots. Fletcher studied several years in
Japan, and has started making a few bonsai pots, largely at the
request of our club. I have a Satsuki in one of his pots.

There MUST be other potters who don't specialize in bonsai pots,
but who make them on occasion.

So, give John a hand, folks -- here or in the gallery, though
here is probably better for discussion purposes. We're trying to
make the FAQ a useful tool for all of us. It's been ignored for
a while, and we're trying to update and enlarge it. (And thanks
for the suggestions we get for changes and updates. Keep them
coming!)

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL -- Bonsai List
manager