Old 11-03-2003, 01:56 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Pot FAQ

I hope all you pottery (I almost said pot) enthusiasts (you see
what trouble THAT would have gotten me into! ;-) will help
Webmaster John Jarrett out with the pottery FAQ he wants to put
together. Response on the gallery has been rather limp.

We don't need trade secrets, or confidential glaze recipes, but
maybe where-to-get-started information, clay and equipment
supplier lists, magazines for pottery (in general, I think,
because a lot of that can be turned to bonsai pots), exhibits,
favorite potters (he already has Mike H.'s URL and a few others,
but more will be welcome. Does Dan Barton (or the Mrs.) still do
pots? Who has (or where do you get) info on antique pots, pot
chops, and collectible pots and accessories. Is there a bonsai
potter's association? (And why not?) Are there competitions
bonsai pot makers could enter (see below)?

Here are a couple of pages that may be of interest (most potters
already know them):

1. The recent pottery competition winners:
http://www.bonsai-nbf.org/nbf/potcom...erywinners.htm

2. The Takagi Museum pottery exhibit (a rather disappointing
page; they need a better webmaster):
http://www.bonsaimuseum.org/e/tenji_t.html

There MUST be others.

Here's a North Carolina potter who makes a lot of other stuff --
for instance, she makes lots of tiles that could make nice
display stands for small trees -- and who dabbles in modernish
bonsai pots. I have one of hers with a small wisteria in it):
www.skhpottery.com.

Turtle Hill Ceramics here in Tallahassee (e-mail:
) also makes a few nice
medium-size bonsai pots. Fletcher studied several years in
Japan, and has started making a few bonsai pots, largely at the
request of our club. I have a Satsuki in one of his pots.

There MUST be other potters who don't specialize in bonsai pots,
but who make them on occasion.

So, give John a hand, folks -- here or in the gallery, though
here is probably better for discussion purposes. We're trying to
make the FAQ a useful tool for all of us. It's been ignored for
a while, and we're trying to update and enlarge it. (And thanks
for the suggestions we get for changes and updates. Keep them
coming!)

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL -- Bonsai List
manager

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-03-2003, 04:08 AM
oldehippie

8 snip of quest for bonsai pottery sources 8

Hopefully this may help locate commercial makers of bonsai pots. I simply
did a Google search for "bonsai pottery" but left the quotation marks in.
There is a certain term for this type of search that escapes me right now
but there were a lot of pot makers specializing in bonsai. A couple I
looked at cite "custom made pots". Following these kind of links often show
supply sources

Here is a Clay worker's Webring too:
http://www.flash.net/~gemoore/cring.htm Also using "pottery clay" Google
produced some raw clay suppliers.

I can't help but wonder if some of the larger cities might offer some sort
of course through a technical or vocational school.

Olde Hippie
--
to reply direct remove number from addy

"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts will"
"I prefer to perambulate to the tempo of a different percussionist"
"Stupidity is believing much, while understanding little"
....Charles A. Meyers

Old 11-03-2003, 01:44 PM
Jim Lewis

I can't help but wonder if some of the larger cities might
offer some sort
of course through a technical or vocational school.

Many so-called Senior Centers" (and many of us qualify) offer
pottery classes, though in too many cases it's merely painting a
glazed blank and calling it "pottery." Not always, though. The
Art Departments in most Junior/Community colleges will have a
basic pottery class, and they usually are amenable to folks
coming in from the community to take it. All College/University
art departments will offer classes, but they're likely to be a
bit expensive, and the schools are less open to non-degree folks.

Thanks for contributing.

David Thoreau - Walden

Old 11-03-2003, 07:15 PM
kevin bailey

I can't help but wonder if some of the larger cities might offer some
sort
of course through a technical or vocational school.

We're lucky in the UK as most High Schools offer pottery classes every
autumn (fall) at very reasonable rates. We regularly incur the wrath of
the tutor as we turn out large bonsai pots and use ten times more clay
than the hobby potters who largely throw small things on the wheel or
spend weeks doing tiny sculpted pieces. A relatively small donation to
cover the cost of extra clay used usually calms him down.

Cheers

Kev Bailey

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-03-2003, 07:15 PM
kevin bailey

Craig Coussins is a keen antique pot collector and has a good page here.

http://www.bonsaiinformation.co.uk/pots.htm scroll down past the
landscape photography section.

Andy Rutledge and Craig are currently redesigning the site, so the URL
may change in the near future.

Cheers

Kev Bailey

********
********
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/
--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 12-03-2003, 01:15 AM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

I for one really hope you get the responses you're looking for - I will read
them avidly. I just discovered that our Community Center has a good sized
electric kiln...that has never even been turned on! It was purchased for
the "seniors," but they were never able to find an instructor. So, if I can
learn how to do some basic stuff - maybe I can talk them into turning the
thing on...

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

I can't help but wonder if some of the larger cities might

offer some sort
of course through a technical or vocational school.

Many so-called Senior Centers" (and many of us qualify) offer
pottery classes, though in too many cases it's merely painting a
glazed blank and calling it "pottery." Not always, though. The
Art Departments in most Junior/Community colleges will have a
basic pottery class, and they usually are amenable to folks
coming in from the community to take it. All College/University
art departments will offer classes, but they're likely to be a
bit expensive, and the schools are less open to non-degree folks.

Thanks for contributing.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Our life is
David Thoreau - Walden

****
****

Old 12-03-2003, 01:26 AM
Jim Lewis

I for one really hope you get the responses you're looking
for - I will read
them avidly. I just discovered that our Community Center has a

good sized
electric kiln...that has never even been turned on! It was

purchased for
the "seniors," but they were never able to find an instructor.

So, if I can
learn how to do some basic stuff - maybe I can talk them into

turning the
thing on...

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

Better yet, take a course or two at your local junior/community
college, then TEACH a course at the community center. That way,
you get to use the kiln and you "pay" for that use by helping
your community.

Old 12-03-2003, 02:11 AM
Lynn Boyd

I for one really hope you get the responses you're looking
for - I will read
them avidly. I just discovered that our Community Center has a

good sized
electric kiln...that has never even been turned on! It was

purchased for
the "seniors," but they were never able to find an instructor.

So, if I can
learn how to do some basic stuff - maybe I can talk them into

turning the
thing on...

Jeff Isom

--------------------------

Another way to go - contact the Community Educ. Dept. at the local
community college and see if a teacher can be set up at the senior center.
This is usually something they are pleased to set up as many schools are
short kiln room and have too many students in their community educ. pgm.
It may be the senior center hasn't the students to fill a class, but the
school can fill a class and needs that space and kiln. Worth a check - and
you may be helping.
Lynn

Lynn Boyd, Oregon, USA
E-mail outgoing protected by Norton Anti Virus
and Viralok Address protection

Viralock... Zero Escape for Email Viruses... http://www.viralock.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++