Old 28-02-2006, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

Default Knock-Out Rose question

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am in Maryland. I am positive that the wind is the guilty party. I am
glad that I posted because I did not know I was not really supposed to
cut roses to the knot each fall.

When we moved into our present house about
12 years ago, there were some rose bushes
against a chain link fence. My husband pruned
them according to some information he found
about pruning Hybrid Teas. Unfortunately
they are climbers. Needless to say, they
never quite recovered *as* climbers, but they
still have nice blooms (Cl. America).

I made some really dumb mistakes early in my
rose gardening experience, and lost a bunch of
roses. Live and learn!

If you didn't actually prune the entire top part of
the shrub (called the "scion"), your roses will
probably recover. Watch for canes that grow out
from *below* the bud union (what you call the
knot). Those canes are from the rootstock and
are not desirable. Cut them all the way back to
the root if they do grow, otherwise they will take
over your bush. You might not get canes from
below the knot, so don't worry if you don't.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8