Old 11-03-2003, 06:56 AM
B & J

Default Tree Recommendation - Minneapolis Area

"Joseph Paturbo" wrote in message
om...
Just relocated several months ago to Minneapolis area...new
construction, not a tree on the lot (about 1/2 acre). Would like to
put in a few trees this spring. What's recommended in this area for
relatively quick growth and eventual shade? Thanks for any info!

ac

One of my favorites when I lived in MN was the seedless green ash. It didn't
fill my garden and flower bed with seedlings, and it had the remarkable
habit of dropping all its leaves in the space of a day. To add to its
attractiveness was the fact that it was relatively disease free (did get
leaf galls) and had a wide crown for shade

A problem can occur because it does develop weak crotches, which can split
away from the main trunk, but one can safeguard against this by early and
careful pruning of improperly angled branches.

John