Old 26-02-2006, 10:39 PM posted to austin.gardening
Gae Xavier

Default best-tasting tomatoes?

http://www.territorial-seed.com/stor..._P2659C168.cfm

Gae Xavier wrote:

Cannot get Brandywine to set here -- too hot.

I really like the complex flavors of a more heat tolerate variety like
"Costoluto Genovese". Yum... sweet with tart and real great tomato
flavor. Best tomato juice too.

I also like the ruffled scalloped slices on the plate from the pumpkin
shape.

A&M uses it as a breeder for hot weather tolerant tomato hybrids like
"Merced".

Will be trying "Purple Calabash" and "Ananas Noire" (purple, green,
orange and yellow) with complex flavors also this year.

Bon Appetite,

Gae Xavier, Realtor
Stanberry & Associates

Jangchub wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 19:45:22 GMT, "Cindy" wrote:

Thought I'd start a new thread. I'm tired of buying whatever
tomato starts I find at Home Depot -- want to start my own.

I like a very "tomatoey" flavor, rather than overly sweet. The
"grape" tomatoes, for instance, are too sweet for me. What do
youall consider the best-tasting tomatoes?

Cindy

Most of the heirlooms are what you'd be looking for. My personal
favorite is Brandywine, but they are not an easy tomato to grow down
here in Austin. They are potato leaf tomatoes and are very
tempermental where night temperatures are concerned. Anything over 70
at night and fruit will not fully develop, and potentially won't even
set.