Old 27-02-2006, 05:03 AM posted to austin.gardening
harriswest

Default help

MAP wrote:

We brought in the bouganvilla and mandavilla (mispelled?) - The bouganvilla
has begun new leaves, and the mandavilla is starting new growth. Should
they be fertilized before going outside. When outside?

Thanks.

Mary Ann

Were it me, I'd fertilize at planting. Organics seem to be more
friendly to new plantings IMO, although I'm not an organic gardener.

I've not tried bougainvilla; I didn't think it was cold hardy enough to
do well exept with some pampering and I don't like it enough to pamper.

OTOH I'm pleased to report that my Cestrum Nocturnum is resprouting from
the roots after my error in not covering it for our December freeze (I
was out of town). I think Cestrum and Bougainvilla are both USDA zone 8
cold hardy (e.g. not at all).
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX