Old 01-03-2006, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
RAINDEAR

Default Need Aphid Advice

but will not the systemic pesticides also wipe out the ladybeetles?

i have used the following method for years and have been very successful
with it (except when it comes to GUAVA, since they have their own variety of
ants):

at night time, when the yellowjackets are not around (i have a fatal allergy
to them so i like to avoid them at all costs!!), i take a flashlight and
wander around the garden looking for aphids...there seems to be a variety of
coloured ones these days ...i must assume it is a type of camouflage...?? at
any rate, when i DO find a colony, i put on a pair of surgical gloves (or
those rubber gloves if i'm working on rose bushes) and squish the aphids
where they lie slurping up the sap from the plant(s) they're covering. i
flick whatever ants are in the area off the various leaves and then......i
LEAVE the dead aphids ON the plant.

i've discovered when the new day comes and new aphids fly in to take over
the next shift (so to say) ;o), they literally WILL NOT touch down upon
plants where their dead buddies lay squished upon the stems and leaves.

of course, it is necessary to repeat the procedure when the dead and
squished ones fall off or are washed off by rainfall....but usually by then,
the ladybeetles have come to the rescue somehow alerted by the sight or
scent or whatever..? and ladybeetle larva can be quite voracious.

ok. that's the end of "gypsy's organic advice" for this day (albeit twelve
days later--but then, for those of us in my zone {usda zoneNH4a}, we have
yet to encounter our ground much less worry about 6-leggers yet.)
--
With Malus toward none, and Cherry-Trees toward all.

I have a cedar bush in my back yard. Problem: it has aphids.
I figure, if I can get rid of the ahpids, I will loose the
ants and the yellow jackets. Is there any NON-HUMAN TOXIC way
of driving the aphids away?

There are systemic pesticides, that the plant absorbs, and it kills or
reduces the aphid populations. Such as
http://www.bayeradvanced.com/garden/...tails.cfm?id=3

Not sure if that falls in your threshold of non-human toxic controls.

If you can control the ants, then natural aphid predators, such as ladybugs
can take care of the aphids easily.